How Does Record Sales Can Overtake CD Sales in the Digital Age?

 As of this year, record sales surpassed CD sales for the first time in 33 years. So, in this age of extreme digitalization of everything, what might push people to buy records by spending separate money for each album? Let's examine.

For the first time in 33 years, record sales outpaced CD sales in the music industry.

First of all, it should be noted. 80% of the current American music market is under the influence of streaming platforms. The remaining 20% are vinyl, CD and digital sales. Streaming platforms have been spreading non-stop since the 2010s. Moreover, 62% of it comes from paid members. However, platforms such as apple music, spotify, tidal or amazon are not the only rise the 2010s witnessed. Record sales, which nearly came to an end in the 2000s, gained momentum in the 2010s and ultimately surpassed CD sales for the first time since 1986, with record prices much higher than CD prices.

More than 20 million records have been sold this year in the USA alone. exceeded 4.5 million in the united kingdom. Over the past year the Beatles alone sold 300,000 records. Moreover, those who buy records show great interest not only from those who act with a sense of nostalgia or collectors, but also from the 2000s, who were born when the concept of vinyl came to an end. It is estimated that 25% of the sales are received by those under 24 years of age.

There are many reasons behind this development, which is called "vinyl renaissance" by some music authorities.

the sense of nostalgia, the curiosity of collecting, and the fact that some segments find the sound quality of their records better than digital platforms. However, there is another reason to be evaluated. the rise of streaming platforms parallel with this awakening. Both have been on the rise since the early 2010s and it wouldn't be wrong to say that there is an action-reaction relationship between them.

Streaming causes the masses to consume music very quickly. In today's music industry, no matter how good a singer's album is, it doesn't last long. In the past, listeners who bought only two albums a month used to translate and listen to those albums until the next month. Whereas now we have an entire music archive at hand for the price of an album and a client who thinks that the more he consumes, the more profitable he is. Having access to every song he wants whenever he wants means that he gets bored very quickly and throws them aside. When this was the case, the singers began to adapt to the listeners and started releasing new songs constantly. previously there was a concept we called "album period". When the singer released her album, it would have promoted it for at least a year. Now even the most popular albums are fading away after ten months and the singer is back with a new project.

Moreover, streaming platforms, by their very nature, make the popular one more popular, reducing the influence of other music genres in the market. Of course, the formerly popular, by its very nature, dwarfed the other genres, but that was not the difference. If one mainstream song sells five million, the other could sell two million. whereas today one popular song gets one billion streams while another doesn't reach 50 million streams, and it's getting smaller in the market where it is already small.

Another problem is that the concept of the album is hollow. In the roughest terms, in an era dominated by streaming, singers can only survive by broadcasting songs. There is not much effort left to make a concept album that is shaped around a single sound and tells a story.

Moreover, streaming platforms, by their very nature, make the popular one more popular, reducing the influence of other music genres in the market. Of course, the formerly popular, by its very nature, dwarfed the other genres, but that was not the difference. If one mainstream song sells five million, the other could sell two million. whereas today one popular song gets one billion streams while another doesn't reach 50 million streams, and it's getting smaller in the market where it is already small.

Another problem is that the concept of the album is hollow. In the roughest terms, in an era dominated by streaming, singers can only survive by broadcasting songs. There is not much effort left to make a concept album that is shaped around a single sound and tells a story.

Previous Post Next Post

Related Posts

Poxox.com